Rosemary is one of the most sorted and popular essential oils It is regarded as one of the most popular aromatherapy oils. Rosemary has leaves like flat pine needles touched with silver. It is native to the Mediterranean region. Fragrance vise it is a bit woodsy and citrus like. It derives its name from Latin words – ros (“dew”) and marinus (“sea”) which means dew of the sea. It is believed that The Virgin Mary had spread her blue cloak over a rosemary bush when she rested and suddenly the white flowers turned blue. The shrub then came to be known as the “Rose of Mary”.
Rosemary oil has a clear, rejuvenating herbal smell make it very ideal for spa like services. It is clear in color and is watery in composition. It is extracted from the fresh flowering tops through the process of steam distillation, yielding approximately from 1.0 to 2.0 percent.
Composition of Rosemary oil
The main chemical components of rosemary oil include a-pinene, borneol, b-pinene, camphor, bornyl acetate, camphene, 1, 8-cineole, and limonene.
A study published in Chemistry of Natural Compounds looked at the volatile compounds obtained from the essential oil of rosemary cultivated at the Algerian Sahara. Its analysis found that 30 compounds represented 98.2 percent of the essential oil, with 1, 8-cineole (29.5 percent), 2-ethyl-4,5-dimethylphenol (12 percent) and camphor (11.5 percent) as the major components.
Rosemary oil skin benefits
- It is an antioxidant which helps in younger looking skin.
- It rejuvenates your skin .It helps in rehydrating and toning your skin
- It helps in the reduction and the appearances of scars and spots.
- It increases the skin’s elasticity which helps in reducing age spots
- Rosemary is rich in iron, calcium, and phytonutrients so it helps in protecting against harmful sun rays and free radicals.
- It has natural antiseptic properties, so it is a natural disinfectant for our skin and hair.
- It is a natural astringent and has anti inflammatory properties.
How to apply?
Apply the oil directly on a freshly washed face with a cotton ball. Allow this rejuvenating oil to dissolve completely into your skin before applying the moisturizer.